For nearly a century, the Utah State Capitol has served the people of the state as the seat of all three branches of government and numerous state agencies. The Capitol was designed by Utah architect Richard K.A. Kletting in 1912 and completed in 1916. Kletting’s winning plans incorporated modern construction methods and materials – including reinforced concrete, elevators and electric lighting. Over the years, various remodeling projects modified the interior spaces and grounds.
In 2004, the most extensive and comprehensive reconstruction and renovation plans began. The Capitol is an engineering achievement, with millions of pounds of concrete carefully shifted to new foundations and devices called base isolators thus protecting the building and its occupants from severe earthquake damage. In addition, artwork, fixtures and furnishings were acquired, conserved and created; new service buildings and landscaping were added; and the most up-to-date technology installed.